One of the Eight values of Free Expression I personally resonate with is the fourth, Individual Self-fulfilment by C. Edwin Baker. It states "Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identity and, in the process perhaps, find kindred spirits. Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency and autonomy."
Learning about the first Amendments and studying it with media content has taught me how important that we most have the right to be individual. If one was to study history you'd see the lack of the principle allows terrible things to happen. Humans need identities outside of what social labels them.
Another source I found to help aide my opinion is Mill, John Stuart in philosophical essay On Liberty (1859) talks about the freedoms humans need from the government in order to have self fulfillment.
| Edwin Baker |
I feel like happiness in a person’s life comes from their own ideology and how they build themselves and express themselves. The quality of life since humans stopped being so controlled by their rulers is what made the quality of life better.
| On Liberty |
Another source I found to help aide my opinion is Mill, John Stuart in philosophical essay On Liberty (1859) talks about the freedoms humans need from the government in order to have self fulfillment.
This is quite literally the idea of Individual Self-fulfilment, and to take a step forward I’d say that life is a perfect reflection of that as we are far from what the world was in 1859 but still not completely different issues.
A problem I see in the world is when free expression is when leaders are in a higher power. For instance our President mocking the 44th President Obama and the Former First Lady or the many other wrong things he has said. But just as he has the power of his own expression the press and people can express just as much.
Free Expression is also a huge part of social media and entertainment. As an artist I benefit so much from being able to see other people's ways of creating ideas, art, games, shows, and even some personally inspired me and the person I am. The freedom of TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, and many other socials allow me to learn and be motived. I one day want to have my own game or animation series myself.
This is why free expression can sometimes be a difficult value to accept because people will say things we disagree with or find offensive. Protecting that freedom means accepting that different viewpoints will exist. Public discussion is often the way to challenge those ideas instead of silencing them.
Another reason I value Individual Self-fulfilment is because every person has a different story, background, and perspective on life. The ability to share those experiences openly helps society become more understanding and creative. Many of the games, movies, books, and forms of art that people enjoy today exist because someone was free to express an idea that was unique to them. As a Game Design student I see creativity grow when people are allowed to think and share their work. If people feared expressing themselves many great ideas would never appear. Free Expression lets people discover who they are connect with others and contribute something to the world around them.
No comments:
Post a Comment