| The U.S Supreme Court is most powerful court on earth |
Before watching this documentary, I knew the Supreme Court was an important part of the government, but I did not realize how much influence it has. The video described it as one of the most powerful institutions in the country because it can decide whether government actions follow the Constitution.
One thing I learned is that the Court is made up of only nine justices who interpret a Constitution that is more than 200 years old. Their decisions can determine what the government can and cannot do, which gives the Court a major role in American life.
The most surprising thing I learned was how few people have actually served on the Court. Throughout American history, only about 100 justices have held these positions. What surprised me even more was that most of them served at least 16 years, and many stayed much longer.
I was also surprised by how selective the Court is when choosing cases. The Supreme Court receives about 7,000 cases each year but only hears around 100. I thought it would review far more cases than that.
Another interesting part of the documentary was the traditions followed by the justices. They meet weekly, begin meetings by shaking hands, and are ranked by seniority. Even the newest justice has specific duties and responsibilities.
| John Marhsall |
The video explained that the Court cannot simply choose issues on its own. People must bring their disputes to the Court, and cases are heard in public through oral arguments. Afterward, the justices meet privately, discuss the case, and work on written opinions that can take weeks or even months to complete.
I also learned about the influence of Chief Justice John Marshall and how many of his ideas still shape the Court today. The documentary discussed the Dred Scott decision as one of the greatest stains on the Court's history and showed how the Court's reputation has changed over time.
My biggest takeaway is that the Supreme Court depends on both the Constitution and the trust of the American people. The documentary suggested that if either one disappeared, the entire system could begin to break down. Watching this video gave me a greater appreciation for how much responsibility rests with just nine justices.
No comments:
Post a Comment